More than 100 years of expertise
The founding of Brink
The Brink expertise goes back more than a hundred years and started in Assen, a town in the north of the Netherlands. There, Reint Brink opened a black smith workshop in 1903. When his son Roelof took over the company more than thirty years later, company’’ R. Brink and Sons’’ focused on building trailers.
In order to continue to specialise in trailers, the company moved 55 km away to Meppel in 1946. Under the brand name KAT, the production of trailers really took off, and son Roelof discovered a new growth market: the towbar. After moving to nearby Staphorst in 1962, the production of towbars really started to grow.
The company became one of the biggest players on the towbar market, known by the new brand name Brink. In order to continue to fortify this position, Reint Brink opened a brand new building in 1977 in Staphorst where design, development, production and sales of towbars were gathered under one roof. When the company established production facilities in other parts of the world under the name of Brink International, the total production of Brink towbars came in at about a million per year, one hundred years after its foundation.
The success of Brink International led the Swedish Thule Group to acquire the company in 2006. This market leader in the field of quality sports utilities was the owner for eight years.
Thule Towbars becomes Brink once again
In 2014, the Thule Group split the towbar division of Thule. The towbar division becames once again a stand-alone entity and continued under the name Brink towbar. Brink Towbars is now part of the Brink Group. The same quality under a different name.